Here's an email from a few months ago, i believe it's a slight spacing
optimization on the IRD phil wood hubs that make them special, but
that you can use regular free-wheels as well.

---------------------------------
The whole IRD/Riv FW thing confuses everyone I've talked to about it.
The guys at PW were kind enough to explain the IRD specific hub
design
to me last year when I was deciding on hubs for another set of
wheels.
"   Garth,
             OK I spoke with our engineer for a little more feedback
on this IRD thing because
             it is basically a little confusing to me a well, here's
the scoop. These IRD hubs were
             a concept dreamed up by Rivendell which took our
standard
freewheel hubs and
             moved the hub shell over to the drive side by about 2mm
for the IRD freewheels
             which is supposed to help off set the wheel dishing
(Rivendell likes to build wheels
             with a little dish as possible) as well as the chain
line
when an IRD freewheel is used.
             When Rivendell commissioned these IRD hubs they asked
that they be an Rivy exclusive
             and we agreed to this for one year. After the year had
expired (this year) our engineer and
             General Manager thought it would be a good idea to offer
the hubs as part of our product line
             for riders who may want to have minimal dishing when
using an IRD.
             So long story short the IRD freewheels can in deed be
used with either one of our freewheel
             hubs it just depends on how concerned you are about
eliminating some of the wheel dish.
              Now you know as much as I do about the reasoning behind
the IRD option and I
              hope it clears things up a little.
               Thank You,
                       Mark
         Phil Wood & Co. "
In the end, I decided not to get the "IRD" FW hubs from PW, just the
same regular touring hubs I've been using.
You can still use any brand of FW with the IRD/Riv hub, it will just
be closer to the chainstay.... how close depends on your frame.
You can use an IRD FW with any english threaded FW hub.
BTW, I've been hearing more reports of IRD failures, despite the
later
supposedly improved models. There's supposed to be a new batch this
summer. Yes ..... those that got a good one say "what's the problem,
mine's been fine ?" For those that didn't .... it rots. I've never
heard of any FW having so many problems as the IRD ones. If you need
13-28 and can live with the awful black Shimano 28 cog, their FW's
are
still good.