On a related topic, I just installed bar end silver shifters on my
Blériot (pix to come).  My installation kit came with four square hole
washers…two with tabs and two without.  The instructions that came
with the kit only showed the tabbed square hole washer, no mention of
the untabbed one; while the youtube video doesn't show a tabbed square
hole washer.  From the instructions, it looks as if the tab is meant
to fit into the pod (i.e. towards the bar).  However, the spacing is
such that it would require the other washer to go on first.  But doing
that makes it so that the cable doesn't directly thread through the
hole in the pod; too much washer thickness mean that the sable it
would have to bend a little to thread.  Since I figgered that having a
straight cable line and uninterrupted tension is paramount, I simply
left out the tabbed square hole washer.  The shifting seems fine, but
I wonder what the extra square hole washers are for.  Any thoughts/
advice?
cheers,
bdl