And for times when they get you into trouble.  So i'll take the retro-
derailleur request from a recent thread to bring this up.  For some
odd reason i've noticed that my inclination for bike parts leans
towards the old.  After a dalliance with carbon fiber and suspension
in my youth (you should see my hardtail mt bike, carbon cranks from
1998! magura brakes! carbon fiber suspension seat post!). at the old
age of 33 i'm only buying bike parts old then me or from an era older
then me.

Anyway here's one of those situations where maybe i'm getting myself
into trouble buying the old stuff.  I picked up this wheel recently
and it's an old phil wood design, from the pictures i'd guess early
80's.  Well it has a Shimano 600 freewheel, in general i love shimano
600 stuff (two cranks, brakes, levers etc), but i'm hesitant to use
this wheel as is.  The FW looks to be in ok condition.  My concern is
that i've done some research and i know that getting this freewheel
off can be tricky, so i'm trying to decide now if i should attempt to
remove and replace with something more modern or ride it and pray that
i'll be able to remove it in a few years.  This is an either or
because after reading the nightmares about getting this freewheel off
(and also tracking down the freewheel tool which is only made by one
small mfr still) i wouldn't re-mount it myself.

And i really would like to use the hub for years to come, it's held up
this far no reason to think it won't keep going.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minhi/5599199529/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minhi/5599781666/

And for those people who are going to tell me just to give up on
freewheels, sure i could've just gotten a shimano 105 cassette hub
wheel fort he same price, but i just love the fact that a 30 year old
phil wood wheel still spins smooth.