I agree with Steve.  All of my current bikes are steel now that I'm
not racing anymore, however, I previously owned one of the original
OCLV models.  Estimating conservatively, it probably had 30K miles on
it (probably closer to 50K) when I traded it to a friend (who still
rides it) for a vintage Dura-Ace crankset.  There are certainly horror
stories of failed carbon forks and resulting injuries, but I wonder to
what extent our global connectedness plays into our overall
perception.  When a fork failed twenty years ago, the twenty people
that were in that person's riding circle knew about it...not all of
cyberspace.  I, for one, had an acquaintance whose steerer tube
separated from his fork crown (on a steel fork), mid-race, causing
substantial facial and dental injuries.  I don't know anyone whose
carbon fork has led to similar circumstances.  Does this mean that
carbon is safer? No...it's just a reminder that we can't rely on
anecdotal evidence.

Yes, I agree that at least 80% of riders on carbon should be on a
different bike, not necessarily because it's inherently unsafe, but
because the design of the bikes is inappropriate.  If a carbon bike
were designed sensibly, and slightly overbuilt, I might conceptually
support it.  Likewise, there have been steel bikes that tried to push
the technological envelope too far, and have failed unpredictably and
spectacularly.  The steel bikes that are out there now, are typically
quite conservative, and thus quite safe.  I get all of the stuff about
how different materials fail in different ways, however, my many years
as a rider and shop mechanic (former) have led me to believe that
theory and reality not the same, regarding frame materials.  I think a
more accurate generalization might be that well-maintained and
regularly inspected bikes are less likely to have "sudden failures"
than poorly maintained bikes that are never inspected for potential
indicators--regardless of material.  The other generalization that I
would make is that racing bikes have become unsafe for long-term use
by recreational cyclists.  Companies seem much more willing to push
the weight envelope on their racing frames, and the nature of carbon
manufacturing and consumer (wannabe racers) demands, has put these
same frames in the hands of everyday riders.  I am hesitant, however,
too finger a frame material, when it has more to do with design and
marketing decisions that have more tightly intertwined professional
racing and consumer choice.