Carbon fiber matrix
offers
large performance improvement in all kinds of structures. So carbon
fiber
matrix has potential for maintaining the strength and stiffness
required
with much less mass than most metals including the three common bike
frame
materials. However, careful design and fabrication procedures must be
followed. The implementation of carbon fiber in aircraft design has
progressed to the point that large percentages airframes are carbon
fiber.

Jim Merz is a smart guy---smarter than I am---and maybe I'm
misunderstanding what he's saying here. But---whatever the future
holds for carbon, whatever its objective theoretical points of
superiority---its track record is abyssmal. I wrote that article so
long ago that I don't even remember izzactly what I said or how I said
it, but my opinion hasn't changed, and it's not due to my general
stubbornness. Carbon is chart-topping strong, but it snaps without
warning, and is the most "notch-sensitive" of any common frame or fork
material. So...UTS (ultimate tensile strength---the glamor spec of
frame materials) doesn't really matter with carbon. Glass has a much
higher UTS than CrMo steel, but it doesn't fail in tension. I must
have said that in the column.

It is unlikely that any carbon frame or fork bought in 2012 (I'm
giving them time to improve it still) will be both on the road and
safe on the road in 2020. Something will happen, or at least wise
heads will quit riding them.

Steel can break, but it breaks a different way; is the LEAST notch-
sensitive of any frame material; has an enviable---and I'd guess
unpassable track record. Not to mention the looks....but that's in the
eye of the berider, etc.

I shall now shutup and quit repeating my already well-known 'pinions.

Best,