Jim's quoted text is interesting: I wonder how many of those broken
carbon bits on that broken carbon site broke because of bad design?

If (1) you could make a carbon fiber bike that rides as nicely as the
best steel ones and, (2) you could prove that cf is just as reliable
and (3) the cf frame can have both these attributes and still be
lighter and reasonably priced: what's not to like?

The second big defect of present cf frames is that so many of them are
just fugging ugly. But I see no reason why you can't make a very nice
looking monocoque cf frame and fork.