On May 15, 7:36 pm, Zaelia <caddic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Discussing bicycles in particular; it has been my experience that
> there are a lot of strong opinions out there about what is right or
> optimum. Personally, I think that it is whatever works for the
> individual. There are so many styles and purposes of riding, it's not
> hard to see that a one-fits-all formula isn't possible, even though I
> sometimes wish someone could just give me a magic number and
> everything would click into place.
>
> Next, I guess I have to admit that a lot of this stuff is Greek to me.
> I'm learning, but it's slow going.
>
> So with that in mind...
>
> I've been to my LBS for a bike fitting (a multi-visit process) and we
> first took care of the basics, pedals and saddle. Things have
> improved. I have almost no hand or foot tingles any more, and knee
> pain is gone, for example, but I'm still experiencing shoulder and
> neck pain. I definitely feel as though I'm bunched up up top, like my
> shoulders are too close to my ears. In a recent visit, we determined
> that to start I should get a longer stem. Currently, my Hilsen has an
> 8 cm (80 mm) Nitto Technomic stem. It was suggested that, without
> changing my handlebars, I get a 10 cm (100 mm) stem.
>
> It was also suggested I get a handlebar that has a medium to shallow
> drop since I admitted to almost never riding in the drops because it
> feels too uncomfortable. I've got a 42 cm (420 mm) Nitto 115. The
> fitter, very keen for me to get an anatomic bar that he thought was
> perfect for me, pulled out a black aluminum bar and repeatedly told me
> that I would not find anything like this in the "retro style". I
> suppose he meant the angular or shaped-curve drops of the anatomic
> bars, but I also had the feeling he was saying I wouldn't find
> anything with a medium to shallow drop.
>
> At home on my computer, I looked at various Nitto handlebars on a
> couple of websites (Riv, Peter White, and Harris Cyclery) and I saw,
> for example, that the Nitto 135 Randonneur has a shallower drop at 120
> mm compared to my 115 at 140 mm. It has a slightly longer reach at 105
> mm compared to my 100 mm, but has basically a "similar construction
> and finish to model 115" (Harris Cyclery). I'm assuming this "similar
> construction" means it has a 25.4 mm center as well, though the
> website does not specify.
>
> So, I'm thinking about getting the Randonneur bars and trying them out
> with the new, longer stem. I'll get the improved reach with the longer
> stem and a shallower drop for better shifting and increased options
> for hand positions.
>
> The last thing is handlebar width. I've read quite a bit about going
> for a wider handlebar width. Again, the fitter had different ideas.
> Ironically, he could see how maybe my working at a computer for many
> hours a day could cause some back problems but did not see that having
> a narrow (shoulder width) bar could do the same. The Nitto 135
> Randonneur only comes in 2 sizes on the Harris Cyclery website (42 and
> [...]

I tried a Nitto Randonneur  and liked it. I got the wider version; the
narrow version seemed -too- narrow at the hoods. But the drop was
still more than I wanted. I have switched to the On One Midge, which
has a shallower drop than the Nitto.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMI/on-one-midge-handlebar

It's an odd bar. The drops are not vertical, they flare out quite a
bit, so the brake levers are not parallel to the stem at all. Do an
images search for it to see what I mean. But I like its shallow drop
and width.

I have seen pictures of the Salsa Moto Ace Woodchipper, and it looks
very wide and shallow, wider than the Midge:
http://salsacycles.com/components/moto_ace_woodchipper/

A disadvantage to the Midge is that shipping from the UK about doubles
its cost.

BC
barred