At the risk of stating the obvious, this is a complicated subject,
with more variables than just drop bars or no.

-- stem height
-- stem reach
-- bar drop
-- bar reach
-- bar ramps
-- brake lever design
-- maybe saddle position as well

At 54, I happily ride drop bars, as follows:

-- bar tops are about 1" below top of saddle
-- ramps are absolutely flat, and flow straight into the tops of the
levers
-- Levers are modern Campy ergo (or the Tektro copies), and offer big,
comfy handrests and smooth transitions from the ramps
-- I ride mostly on the lever tops
-- I drop into the drops for fast descents (better stability) or
sometimes in case of headwinds
-- I have played around with a lot of bars, and the Ritchey Pro feels
the best to me (46 width, but maybe that's a tangential subject).
YMMV.  I strongly prefer ergo bars.  For those who don't like the look
of ergo bars, I suggest that the appearance issues are minimized when
one is actually riding.
-- My stems are maybe ~1cm shorter than they were twenty years ago,
10-11 instead of 11-12
-- I ride Avocet M40 saddles, and Specialized Toupe saddles.  I run
both of those flat, or perhaps a teeny smidge nose-up.  If you get
tipped forward, that can influence this discussion substantially.  And
the high-bar folks are steadily rotating their saddles back past flat,
I assume because they are rotating their pelvises and sit bones in
that direction.

I would like to have a classic bike built up, and I have plenty of
parts -- and frames -- to do it, but classic bars combined with
classic brake levers are so stunningly un-ergonomic (IMO, YMMV) that
there is no point to bothering.  Campy NR or SR levers, or Mafac
levers, have such a small hand platform....  I could ride them when I
was 25, but I am no longer interested.  Yes, they look beautiful when
viewed from a standing position five feet away from the side of the
bike, but that doesn't help me much at mile 90, with 40 to go.

Lastly, yes, more miles will help the issue, as will stretching and
some lifting, especially deadlifts, tricep extensions, and core work.

Don't give up on drops too quickly.  They offer the best combination
of positions.

Cheers,

pb