If drops aren't more comfortable than "mountain bike" bars, and they're at
the same height as the saddle or above, you'll more comfortable as you
limber up and lose the gut; well, that's my experience, not yours, so take
it with some windage...but even when younger (now at 56), the paunch that
appears when not riding will eventually shrink while riding, diet
permitting.

The "North Road" type,  like the Albatross and Porteurs, the ends point back
and are good for my wrists, but don't offer as many postions as a good drop
bar.

I think most riders on the new-fangled brake/shifters don't seem to use much
more than a straight bar with the brifter, acting as bar ends.

Ultimately, the wrists and the ulnar nerves tell me what a good bar is,
especially when I can use a range of postitions: crouch to sprint, stand to
power on, sit to spin or look around.

Bill Gibson
Tempe, Arizona, USA