On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 20:39 -0700, charlie wrote:
> I'm with all the folks who like the double top tube.....I like the
> different look and it  does make the frame stronger. I'm a full 268
> and would want the extra tube but I don't think a lighter rider would
> get a harsh ride out of it, in fact, it would help if the bike were
> loaded up with bags. I think many of those against it are secretly
> gram counters and are worried they won't be as fast on the
> bike..... ; )

My objections have nothing at all to do with gram counting.  When you
can measure your weight in tenths of a ton you don't fret about no
stinkin' grams.  For me, it's mostly about the excessive stiffness, and
only a little bit about aesthetics.  In general, the Riv frames made
with oversize tubing and single top tubes were already too stiff; the
last thing in the world they need in my opinion is even more stiffness.

I realize, flexible vs stiff is a preference choice, and different
riders experience this differently.  It's one thing to want a very stiff
frame because you prefer the performance; but to create an overly stiff
frame for the sake of visual differentiation -- now that's irrational.