Stability, or lack of it, is a bike by bike problem.  I never had any w/ the
Albatross bars mounted high and forward.  This was really comfy position,
and let me use the forward bends as a more stretched out option as well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/2058061573/

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM, rw1911 <rw1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks all for the feedback.  It sounds like I would need a very short
> stem 6-7cm for the M-bars and probably a 12 for the A-bars...
>
> All this talk of instability at speed has me now questioning the
> Albatross, which I was favoring.  Perhaps I should consider a
> straight(ish) bar or maybe something with a little more flexibility
> like the Jitensha bar (which appears to be an abbreviated, somewhat
> cross between the two)?
>
> FWIW, I have the Noodles just about level with the saddle.
>

> Thoughts?
>

> On Jul 2, 12:23 pm, clyde canter <clyde.can...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Shorter for the 'stach and longer for the 'tross, definately. I've tried
> > both and the only setup that felt good to me was the 'tach bars on a bike
> > that was too small, ie short top tube and an upjutting  (40 deg) stem.
> > Problem there is getting them high enough. The "tross bars came close on
> my
> > Hillborne, but there's something about those bars at speed that's
> > disconcerting for me.  I'll borrow the term "squirrley. That's a good
> > descriptor. The "at speed" part got me to thinking the albatross might be
> > good bar for a fixed application.  Hitting my top cadence in their
> upright
> > position was interesting to say the least. Also, I almost crashed when
> > reaching all the way down there for a bottle. All this has me fondly
> > remembering my more flexible lower back of years past.  I now have my 48
> > noodles a whopping 2 1/2 to 3 inches above my saddle and that is my
> mostest
> > favoritest set up for everything. I should note that the only bikes I
> have
> > that will allow this are my Rivendells.  Thanks Grant.
> >  High bars and fluffy tires,
> >  Clyde
> >

> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:33 AM, charlie <charles_v...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > I have used a 12cm for Albatross bars and a 9cm with a 105 degree rise
> > > for noodles on the same bike with a 58cm top tube. I have mustache
> > > bars with a 10cm dirtdrop but on a bike with a 57 cm top tube. My
> > > Simple One has a 9cm seven shaped nitto stem all the way up to the
> > > mark with  Nitto Rando bars and a 58cm top tube. I purposely mounted
> > > my albatross bars upside down making the grips level with the saddle
> > > but it still put me too upright and the front end felt squirrely so I
> > > went back to noodles. If my memory is correct a 3-4 cm longer is good
> > > for Albatross bars and maybe a 2-3 cm shorter for mustache's.....
> > > although you want them way taller so the curve is above saddle height
> > > and the normal grip at least level with the saddle.

> be

> the

> > > --

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would
probably benefit more from
improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS