you could go on a loaded tour with a road bike and 25mm tires and be just
fine. it's really overthinking at a certain point, and i think atlantis v
hunq is that point.

pick either bike, they both are more than adequate for any use. match your
tire setup to your purpose, they have the same clearance.

to me, owning both, i got a hunqapillar because i wanted a mtb that handled
like my atlantis. i could flip parts and have just as good of a bike doing
the other task as I do now.

i wouldn't get a bike with less clearance, because i want a bike i can ride
home on 40mm tires with a broken spoke (or 2).

ymmv,

erik

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This list has many riders in the "north of 250 lb" category, so
> "light" and "heavy" take on a rather different meaning.
>
> Patrick "and many of them can ride me into the dirt, too" Moore
>
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Anne Paulson <anne.paul...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:52 PM, charlie <charles_v...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yea I guess I am saying a lighter rider/load would do fine on an
> >> Atlantis....
> >
> > How light a  rider and load are we talking about here? I'm confused
> because
> > before there was any Hunqapiller or any Bomba, the Atlantis was marketed
> as
> > a touring bike. Now it's only a touring bike for light riders with light
> > loads? As a data point, I think of myself as a medium-weight rider, and I
> > usually carry a pretty heavy load as touring loads go, yet my Atlantis
> has
> > performed flawlessly in maybe ten thousand miles of touring.
> > I'm also confused because I looked at the recommended tire size for
> > Hunqapillars and Bombadils. The recommendation only goes up to 55 mm,
> which
> > is smaller than the usual off-road tires. Say I wanted to do the Great
> > Divide. Say I was a good bike handler, so I thought I'd be OK with no
> > suspension. I'd still want to be riding mountain bike tires, so the Hunq
> or
> > the Bomba still wouldn't work for me.
> > --
> > -- Anne Paulson
> >
> > My hovercraft is full of eels
> >
> > --

> Patrick Moore
> Albuquerque, NM
> For professional resumes, contact
> Patrick Moore, ACRW
> patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com
>
> A billion stars go spinning through the night
> Blazing high above your head;
> But in you is the Presence that will be
> When all the stars are dead.
> (Rilke, Buddha in Glory)