Per Riv:

The Atlantis is our most versatile bike, our best-seller, and as evidence of
its mature design, is virtually unchanged since we introduced it as our first
production bike in 1999.75. It is ideal for loaded touring, trail riding,
commuting, and general riding where you're likely to want tires 35mm wide or
wider most of the time, and fenders a lot of the time. Around here, we have a
saying: You can do anything on an Atlantis. Because you can.

The Atlantis is a stout over built road touring bike.  Riv lists its heaviest
use as loaded touring (road touring is implied).  The heaviest use of the
Bombadil is loaded trail touring so by Riv standards this bike is built for
heavier use.  By normal standards both are over built and bomb proof.  I would
not hesitate to do an off road tour on my Atlantis.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this.  Based on the way Rivendell shows
the bikes in pictures the Atlantis seems to be designed as a road bike and is
optimzed for drop bars.  The Bombadil seems to be designed as a mountain bike
and is optimized for upright bars.  The Atlantis is built heavier then most
production mountain bikes and in the past people have built them up with
upright bars and used them for trail and mountain bikes.  As Riv says you can
do anything on an Atlantis.  I think the Bombadil is just optimizing a bike for
this use.

Different bikes for different people and uses.  My Atlantis is built up for
loaded road touring but dirt roads and single track could be toured as well.
Aesthetically I do not like the double top tubes and none is offered on any of
the Atlantis sizes.  I don't mind the extra lateral tube but the Atlantis does
not suffer from not having one.  If I were to own one bike it would be the
Atlantis.  It is probably the most versatile bike for me (I have no interest in
riding anything more technical then smooth single track).  I am lucky enough to
own several several bicycles and between them I can choose the one most suited
to the ride of the day.

The only point to this is that the Atlantis should not be dismissed because it
the oldest bike in the Riv stable.  It has lasted this long for a reason so
take a good look at all of the frames and pick the one that you like best and
get out and ride.

Larry Powers

Rambouillet
Atlantis
Quickbeam

Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live. - Mark Twain