Hi Tom ,

  We can debate the safety of the stem forever and a day .... and we'll
never get anywhere.... but a headache!     To the point ..... do you like
riding the bike like that .... you know ... is it fun?  I think that trumps
everything .

Once you get your Bombadil .... I suspect you won't want to ride this ... or
any other way-too-small bike again. Been there.  I had a much to small
Stumpjumper I bought in 1983.  I tried in vain to get it to fit me ... but
it never would ... it was just not a proper fit. I kept it over the years
.... but once I got a proper fitting frame ... it happened to be a Bombadil
too ..... I thought .... why am I keeping this? It rides like crap .... it's
too small ... and it's just no fun. I promptly sold it.  There's a zillion
other bikes to choose from ..... why keep sucking a lemon when a juicy sweet
orange is just waiting for me?

*Life is too short to settle for ill fitting or not fun to ride bikes.* It
isn't about the money .... ever ever ever . It's always always always what
we're telling ourselves between the ears and the feelings from those
thoughts. If something is not serving you well .... let it go .