Perhaps I should and I will. But some of his positions (carb = bad) as
presented in this thread simply don't correspond to history. The
Chinese are getting fat from Big Macs and other animal fare, not from
their traditional rice. And I don't think you can refute the idea that
minimal exercise is required for normal wellbeing.

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM, David Faller <dfal...@charter.net> wrote:
> I think you should actually read "Why We Get Fat".  What you are asserting
> is largely refuted in the book.
>
> On 8/12/2011 11:00 AM, PATRICK MOORE wrote:
>>
>> One huge difference between our mid-20th-century-on and the lives of
>> even relatively recent forbears is simply the absence of physical
>> activity. I remember, as a boy in the late '50s and early '60s how
>> road crews would use picks, shovels and hand-controlled jackhammers,
>> while road crews today for the most part seem to have a big, yellow
>> machine to do it all. And with the move to suburbia, people don't even
>> have to walk to the bus stop or train station any more. You read of
>> pre-industrial or early industrial workers who spent hours every day,
>> six days a week, throughout their working lives, digging, plowing,
>> sawing, nailing, axing, fishing, bricklaying, etc. Even my mother's
>> family, who were well-to-do provincial squirearchy in southern Luzon,
>> never owned a car until the Yanks gave my by-then-provincial governor
>> grandfather a military surplus jeep after WWII: they walked
>> everywhere. And kids were outside playing who are now very conspicuous
>> by their outdoor absence in modern neighborhoods. Even my relatively
>> active way of life, with 3K miles/year on a bike, is positively
>> sedentary compared to the lives of even non-laboring classes back
>> before the auto, the suburbs and 24/7 couch entertainment -- Samuel
>> Pepys did far more walking than I ever do.
>>
>> Frankly, I expect that almost complete lack of activity is in good
>> part to blame for so much obesity; it's hard to see how many obese
>> people could even function if they regularly had simply to walk
>> further than from couch to garage, or if they had to climb a couple
>> flights of stairs.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Tim McNamara<tim...@bitstream.net>
>>  wrote:

>>> I haven't read anything by Taube so I can't comment on the scientific
>>> basis for his work, except to say that the science of human nutrition is far
>>> from exact.  And because we are omnivores, widely varying diets can keep us
>>> alive and relatively healthy.  What surely seems to be bad for us is a diet
>>> high in processed foods, hydrogenated fats, salt, etc., and low in fiber,
>>> phytonutrients, vitamins, micronutrients, minerals, etc.
>>>
>>> Americans (and maybe people in other places too) probably eat a fraction
>>> of the vegetables they should.  If you've added a lot of vegetable to your
>>> diet, this is almost certainly going to be a boost for your health and will
>>> make it easier to lose weight.  Many vegetables are best eaten raw.  Wash
>>> them thoroughly in water, though, because pesticide residues are bad for us
>>> and in many cases are bioaccumulative (stored in our tissues).  If farmers
>>> follow the pesticide guidelines carefully, pesticide residues are very low
>>> but I know (from farmers) that this is often not the case.
>>>
>>> http://nutrition.about.com/od/ahealthykitchen/a/washveggies.htm

> [...]

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.
(Rilke, Buddha in Glory)