I read Taubes most recent book in its entirety.  There is no question
that you can lose weight on a low carb diet but the problem is most
people can't stick with it.  The yearning for a bagel, pizza, etc..
will return.  This is why the low carb industry of 10 years ago
failed. MD's didn't destroy it.  Most Americans don't listen to their
doctors which is why we have a healthcare crisis now.  Be an
omnivore...eat less and move more...this will work for 98% of the
population.