Thanks Zack! This is _precisely_ what I've been wanting to say, but was on the verge of a tirade. Arguing on the internet, in any form, is often dangerous and always stupid unless all parties are equally informed and open to having their beliefs toppled. I've been quietly humbled many times by lurking on a thread and watching my pet theories fizzle and fade; but I was happy to gain the new information without having to put my ignorance out there for all to see.

Taubes' books are full of "well I'll be damned!" passages, and he can back them up with hard research. He spends a lot of his writing trying to gently pry loose what I call "belief barnacles", such as "calories in/calories out". He also amply acknowledges that personal genetics steers how we process everything, including carbohydrates. All I can claim from personal experience is that I adjusted my diet in the direction of what he has explained (I did not go whole-hog, not even close), and I had almost immediate results.