My take: I think these are indeed the best straddle hangers out
there.  Here's why.  You position the hanger for optimum/even pull
from both brake calipers, then you set the screws and secure the
straddle wire so the hanger remains perfectly positioned; without it
the hanger can float and eventually the pull on the calipers will
become uneven.

I use the philips head screw just to hold the straddle wire in place
(in the hanger) enough to unhook it from the caliper and to tighten
the allen bolts (which generally DO require unhooking the straddle
wire to get an allen key on the bolts, particularly with a rear rack).

SO, the allen heads make perfect sense to me, to hold the straddle
hanger in place after setting it up to pull evenly.
The philips head holds the cable in place while you disconnect the
hanger wire, enabling you to then set the allen bolts.

Beautifully designed...

BB