Mike -

HA! Your bike is the one I saw!! So the 47's do exist and fit the Hilsen!
Nice.

Goatheads are a prolific problem here in Denver. There are two major trail
systems that will get you darn near anywhere in and around the metro area
you want to go. Since my daughter was born I have taken to using them more
often "as my ride" where before I used them to get "to my ride". Problem is
both trail systems are bordered with the low level ground cover plant that
creates the thorns. There is some speculation that they were
used purposely along the Highline Canal Trail (built in the early 20s) as it
was originally an access road for the irrigation canal. It would require no
maintenance without getting overgrown. The recreation/bike trail was not to
be until the 70s.

Some years are better than others depending on heat and moisture. I can only
guess that our summer of record heat has the little devils out in score.

Again...brilliant Hilsen there sir!