Aarrrrrugh, I HATE goatheads.  This year is the worst here in SoCal due to
the record breaking rain we had this winter and spring.  Every dormant
goathead from the last 20 years started growing.  Seriously, I ride past
orchards and empty lots that are covered with ACRES of the things.

Over the years I've gotten pretty good and seeing the plants and steering
clear.  When I see a new one along a path, I'll often stop and pull the
plant out by the root before it can really propagate.

Only advice is learn to look for the plants (individual thorns can't be
seen).  They grow in open ground that doesn't have any native ground cover
or manicured lawns.  They need water, so thrive on urban run-off.

Then join the group <http://www.flickr.com/groups/goatheads/> to post
pictures and commiserate on the devil's seed!

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 5:26 PM, jinxed <hbcl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There are 5 bicycles hanging in the garage. There is *one tire* with air
> in it.
>
> My last 3 trips on the Hilsen have seen no fewer than 2 punctures per trip.
> All caused by goat heads.
>
> I think I am going to finally bite the bullet and pick up a set of
> Marathons. I have seen evidence of a 700 x 47 (41 actual) Marathon
> (Supreme??) on a Hilsen that would be stellar. I like the big meat on the
> hoops off road. Unfortunately the widest I see searching the web is 40
> now....bummer.
>
> There seems to be some pretty lofty praise on the Marathons being as anti
> flat as is available. From what I gather, the "Supreme" is the, well,
> supreme?
>
> Anyone gone the Foss route yet?
>
> The previous players:
>
> Sealants:
> True Goo - worked for a month, then stopped.
> Slime - slowed the leak a little then created a huge mess in the tire.
> Caffe Latex - worked for @ 2 months, then clogged the valve.
>
> Tires:
> 700x37 Pasela TG.
> 700x42 IRC Slick XC.
> 700x32 Conti Twister Pro.
> 700x35 Schwalbe Delta Cruisers with puncture protection.
>
> These tires excelled in different areas, but on the roads/path I take most
> often they all suffered the dreaded goat head rapture (rupture?) about
> equally.
>

>  --

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would
probably benefit more from
improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS