I had this problem with the silver shifter on the downtube, no matter
how much I tightened it.

I finally traced the problem to the fact that the square-hole washer
that sits on the frame was slightly too thick for my shifter boss. I
sanded it down a little bit with a Dremel tool, and that solved the
problem.