There is a "good" way to set up the Silvers - beeswax on the screw threads -
only put grease on the inner silver washer - not the threads or anything
else - scuff up the plastic washer a bit for some friction.  I still feel
that the derailleurs make a BIG difference.  The ones I have tried with
lower spring tension seem to work really well with friction shifters.  My
newer model "road" derailleurs have never worked too well.

YMMV

Brian