Agreed on the $250 is a steal. The "free" Trek that I put tubes, tires,
fenders, and a bell on cost me close to $100. And that was with the tires
on close-out for about $20 each. You can imagine why I ended up hesitating
over the mustache bars. Also, a Wald basket up front would be very a nice
and very useful touch.

The thing is, most people don't want to spend money on a decent kid's bike.
It's understandable as most kids don't ride them very much. But in the TCO
(total cost of ownership), a good bike that can last through 2-3 of one's
own children before being sold used for 50-70% of original purchase price
is pretty cheap on an amortized basis. Not many people look at their budget
that way, though.

-Allan