Start on the 20" search, it'll take awhile, too!   The wheel size really
made a big difference.  Most noticeable in rolling off curbs (probably also
why kid bikes are so over-built!).  She used to stop and straddle-step walk
them over, now rides right off them.  I noticed the big difference for her
going from 16 to 20" was the extra mass of the front end.  My daughter did
not like having to move it around at low/no speed and that kinda' mentally
freaked her out.  Once she got over that... watch out!

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Smitty-A-Go-Go <54ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We looked long and hard for a reasonable 16-inch wheeled bike when my
> daughter out grew her 12-inch Specialized Hotrock. We finally found a
> Schwinn Gremlin on Craigslist for $40 and snatched it up.
>
> Funny you mention wheel size, David. M 5-year old daughter tried to go up
> a driveway from the street at too shallow an angle and her front wheel was
> deflected by the bump. She went down pretty hard. I was tough 'cause there
> wasn't much I could do other than comfort her and explain how to avoid it
> happening again. She really wants a bigger bike but she can barely stand
> over her 16-inch wheeled Schwinn Gremlin.
>
> Here are a few pics of the kids on their rides...
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113148323994353762329/albums/5673253657816624801
>

>  --
> For more options, visit this group at

Cheers,