On Jan 27, 2012, at 7:44 PM, charlie wrote:

> Being adapted to ever increasing efforts does make you more fit which doesn't
> apparently translate to increased health....in fact, it has killed some and
> caused many others who do that regularly to have heart problems.

I think you're right, that athletic fitness and health are not the same thing.

To me, health not not merely the absence of disease but is the ability to
self-repair and be resistant to disease.  Health = resilience oversimplifies it
but I think is a big part of it.  People can be healthy and not be athletically
fit or even exercise much.  I know people who lived to 100 in good health
without deliberately exercising beyond just living their daily lives.

On the other hand, even people who aren't particularly healthy can be fit and
athletic- and yet die from a heart attack, or get cancer, or have a stroke...

Moderate exercise appears to have some protective effect on health compared to
laying on the couch all the time, perhaps walking only from the couch to the
car to the cubicle and back.  Extreme exercise seems to have at least some risk
of causing harm- the life expectancy of professional athletes tends to be lower
than that of normal healthy people.