Well I want my bike to be beautiful too. I want indexed shifters, not
bar end as I am used to them. I am thinking about going to a double
crank. From everything I have read here is would be lighter, and I
could still get a good gear range for  touring,a lthough I would have
to get a rear MB derailer. It is hard for me to conceive that with a
42 front ring that I could get a high enough gear for flats to cruise
on.. but from what i can tell it seems that you all think a triple
chain ring in the front is very repetitive. Am still not sure if I
have to replace my 105 Shimano indexed shifters if I just decide to
change to a double crank and different rear cassette. Can you clarify
please.? What is a brifter?I think the first thing to decide is double
or triple crank and rear cassette and then figure out if I have to
replace   my current derailers and shifters if I do that.  The rings
were  the reason that I took the bike apart in the first place, as
they were the only parts that were really worn out.. now here I am
with half my bike sitting next to this computer desk in a big pile and
this is turning into a million dollar project. I can probably afford
to redo the whole thing, but do not necessarily feel the need to do
that. I kind of like to use things up and recycle etc.