A 'brifter' is a shifter that is part of the brake lever.
Brake-lever-shifter = Brifter.  If your brakelevers and shiftlevers are
integrated into the same unit, you have brifters.

The group might have taken you sideways into a "million dollar project" in
part because your original post said:

"I want to rebuild it from the bottom up, as the
components.... were completely worn out. "

If only your drivetrain parts are worn out, and you love everything about
your bike otherwise, then by all means get a new cassette the same size as
you have now, get three new chainrings, and a new chain, and be happy.
100-200 in parts, plus labor, maybe get cables and housing and handlebar
tape and brakepads and it will feel and look like a new bike.

If you want to totally reconfigure your drivetrain to a double in front,
there may be weight savings, but it will almost certainly be less than a
pound of savings, and could easily add another $200-$500 to the project,
and might force you into shifter choices that you regret if you've loved
what you have been running.