My son is seven and rides a Fuji Ace 20. It's a beauty, he rides to school
nearly all year, which, is pretty good for a NYC kid.

Here's the bike:

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/ace-203

I was a little weirded out by the 20" x 1"'s but like Thomas said, kids
kinda don't care and the bike is so cool looking that he gets compliments
on it all the time!

Here he is riding it to a nail biter of a photo finish last weekend at the
Harlem Skyscraper Classic Father's Day race:

http://nyvelocity.com/content/gallery/race-photos/2012/harlem-kids

btw: the Fuji comes in a 24" wheeled version with drop bars as well. As for
other kid bikes, I'd like to find him one of those Redline 24" wheel cross
bikes next as he'll outgrow the 20 in another year, I fear. Otherwise, Felt
makes a nice 24" racer type .... remember, kids like fast stuff ... and
they have their whole lives ahead of them to figure out the beauty of fat
road tires and fenders and such!