Was just thinking about the whole concept of the 'performance bicycle' and
it really makes me laugh since the rider is the most important part of that
equation. The point I'm trying to make is its all about the engine probably
95% of it. There is simply no way a top level pro riding a 30+ touring
bicycle is going to get beat by your average guy on a high tech uber
lightweight road machine. It just doesn't make that much difference until
you level the playing field with both the rider and the machine (then its
all rider) plus support crew these days not to mention how much cheating
you do or don't do to win. Lightweight bicycles are nifty and fun and the
'Rando style' (Hilsen, Hillborne,Roadeo) mid weight is probably your best
all around swift road machine. I still don't get the point of a 16 pound
bicycle and why many think them to be significantly 'faster'...... without
a rider pedaling them they just sit there leaning against a wall going
nowhere fast.