I think CF bikes have their place in the world of cycling, and I certainly
subscribe to "live and let live" as it applies to cycling. It should be
"ride and let ride". The point is ride what you have, and try to have a
good time doing it.Who can deny that riding in a pace-line at 20+ mph isn't
a hoot? Not me, that's for sure. A good lightweight CF bike makes this a
lot easier, than say a 26 pound steel bike.No, what is upsetting is the
near total dominance of CF bikes in the market today. If riders could own
just one bike, most of us, would be better served on a steel bike. More
versatile for sure.

I'm in the middle of "Just Ride" and find it a very enjoyable and
interesting read. I do think Grant's off-base somewhat on the durability of
CF frames. Having owned several CF bikes over a 10 year span, I haven't had
a lick of trouble with any of them. No exploding or cracked frames, I even
crashed one of them. Look at the millions of CF forks out there. If there
was an issue with these forks self-destructing, the liability issue would
quickly drive manufacturers out-of-business. Face it, CF bikes are here to
stay.
A well designed CF frame will last a long time. Hell, at times, I even ride
CF wheels. Oh, the horror of it all!

Having said that, I love steel bikes too. The ride quality just can't be
beat, except maybe for Ti bikes, but I've never ridden nor owned one so I
can't comment.

Richard