I'm slight-of-build like Jan Heine, and am sure he knows what he is talking
about when that light springy tubing feels great when riding, but I also
know I could dent a 7/4/7 tube by looking at it wrong, heat-treated or
not.   It's a trade-off between the fleeting bliss of floating up hills on
your superlight steel bike and the cold reality of racking it among 20
other bicycles or riding it on ice.   Any bike of mine gets
commuting/grocery duty, even if i have multiple bikes.

Luckily, I'm a bit taller than Mr. Heine, so a bike with heavier OS tubing
in my size has some flex and I find them to ride nicely, especially for the
long haul.     Bikes should be tough and durable.

I also think bikes are best when they are as non-integrated as possible,
contrary to Jan Heine, but in agreement with Riv's philosophy.     To me,
having a single custom-made rack for your bike or integrated lighting is
not as good as having a wide array of well-made adjustable racks with
standard mounting provisions to choose from (tubus, nitto, or custom if you
like), or the ability to ride your bike with lights or without, fenders on
or off, single-speeded or with a touring triple etc.   It's liberating.

Bicycle companies such as Surly, Soma, or smaller companies like Rawland
and of course Rivendell provide well-made platforms on which to hang
whatever parts suit your needs.   There is an advantage to that.    Jan
Heine likes to make comparisons to the integrated design of the modern
automobile, and seems to think that the integrated fenders and lights of
the modern sedan should be an obvious carry-over to the modern bicycle.
However, what that misses is that bicycles are nothing like automobiles.
Bicycles are open, while modern automobiles are black, disposable boxes.
Anybody with some basic tools and basic experience can setup/tune/adjust a
bicycle, and most of these adjustments take only a few minutes.     The
non-integrated, open, parts-agnostic nature of a well-designed bicycle
frame is part of what gives it its agility, versatility and usefulness.