On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 20:46 -0700, Michael_S wrote:
> As much as I enjoy the technical content of BQ I often struggle with
> Jan's "strong negative opinions"  with most bikes/parts that are
> competition for his products or what he rides.

If you are insinuating Jan disses products because they compete with
things Compass sells, I would have to strongly disagree.  He doesn't
like things because Compass sells them; Compass sells things because he
likes them, and often because there is no other source or similar
product.

> He also suggests that we all would be happier on thin tubed standard
> diameter frames, not offering the ideas that we are all not slight of
> build like he is. Any of us who are larger in size but as fit will get
> the same effect on larger/thicker  tubes that are more proportionate
> to our size.

Not necessarily.  At 200 lb, I am a LOT heavier than Jan, and anything
but "slight of build".  I've owned two OS-diameter Rivendells that I
have sold and replaced with standard-diameter frames of the same tubing
gauge, primarily because they were too stiff for me.  The tubing is 1
size thicker than what Jan prefers; I believe the performance for me is
similar, if not identical, to what Jan experiences.