I agree with Jim's comments. My daily rider is lugged early 80's True True
Temper frame with a modern drive 9 speed drive train (with the exception of
Silver dt shifters) and brakes. I love it dearly, at least in part  because
I resurrected the frame from the waste bin, but also because my old Trek
does a lot of things well. However, when I participate in my neighborhood
fast group ride (guys on Moots titanium, Pinarello carbon, etc., sporting
high-dollar wheelsets), I struggle mightily to keep up. My fitness is equal
to or greater than most of my fellow riders, but when I'm peddling a bike 7
to 10 lbs heavier than my companions, with perfectly good, but slower
wheels and tires, I'm gonna get dropped at some point on the ride. I liken
it to showing up to an SCCA event comprised of Lotus Elises in a '65
Mustang. So, because I like to go fast, and hang with my friends, I have a
bike that does that too. And it is thoroughly modern in nearly every way.

Scott Calhoun
Tucson, Arizona