Doug, I agree that a second set of bars beneath the platform would be
a good feature for many of the larger Nitto racks.  I have a custom
rack that was made many years ago for my Schwinn Paramount by Jock
Fisher (RIP) who was a partner of Tim Isaac at that time.  The rack
has the second set, and I've used it to mount the Berthoud GB799
panniers on some occasions. (here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37964304@N05/4880400987/in/set-72157624699133170
)

Jim