Two things I dont talk about with people I dont intimately know, religion
and politics. If Grant was a republican I would still spend my money, if he
was a republican who gave to anti-abortion and radical right causes, not so
much. I think like all things it is a matter of degrees. I am a liberal,
athiest, democrat but I have many friends who are not and they are still
friends. I lived in South Carolina for 9 years and had many close friends
who would often have a good debate over politics, but after it all we were
still friends.  I also worked at a Vegan restaurant where there were many
causes I deemed too liberal but still put myself out there in a respectful
manner to try at talk about things with people. If we cant talk about what
makes us different then we have truely lost "democracy."  You cant just
live with your head in the echo-chamber, you will never expand your
horizons that way.