Liesl: did I understand right that you are going to get an
Appaloosa-type for your custom?  If so, a fixed/ss Appaloosa?

I love fixed. I just got back from a very nice 21 mile out and back on
the now glass-smooth Rio Grande bike path on the gofast, which was
very comfortable, particularly after yet another tweak to the bar
(narrow Maes Parallels: I moved the brake hoods up about 1/2 inch:
perfect).

Very nice day. 60F as I left, sunny, with a light, shifting wind
varying from N to W. Just to test things I rode ~19 out of the 21
miles in the hooks: pushing it for my current fitness, but only minor
neck discomfort in the last few miles and now, sitting at the
computer, no problem -- this with only ~300 miles during Jan and Feb.
I generally move around more. And my very sensitive left palm: I
continually changed left hand position, but only minor discomfort --
this for a hand that, on anything except drop bars, goes numb after 10
minutes. Ends of hooks resolutely and determinedly horizontal --
that's the secret for my left hand. (The Midge on the Fargo can't be
set up this way, so I have to resort to padding.) No gloves.

If anyone uses the new, 559X1.5" Grand Bois tires, I'd like to know
what the true diameter is. I bet I could fit these on the Riv commuter
-- tho' it would obviate fenders. I bet I could get plastics over the
Kojaks at 32 mm, but 37 mm: nope. Wondering if I should bother to swap
out the 46 on the commuter for a 48 so I can swap the 16 t cog for a
17/20 dingle ....