While I haven't used hydraulics, will agree with Jim they seem the most
maintenance free and probably the bestest choice for winter riding in
places like Minnesota.  Tried cable pull discs one winter and it was not a
good thing.  Snow/slush gummed up the caliper right quick. (Might have been
bad luck on my part.  Others have had no problems.)

My city bike has cantilevers.  Never had a problem of adjustment in
winter.  Abrading through a rim, yes.  Diving under, no.  Pauls are extra
nice due to the sealed springs.

For other city biking likes - flat bars, but not as swept back as the
Albatross or Bosco.  Want some weight on the front wheel for control on ice
and snow.  Fenders, yes. Aluminum for extra width, but think plastic might
survive longer being banged around.  Dyno hub, but willing to forego with
the newest recharables.  Tires - 38 to 40 are fine. Gears -  my city bike
is a 1x9.  Definitely rear rack (my preference in handling and setup) and
at least one Blackburn bottle cage that can hold a coffee thermos.

All that said, my SimpleOne was used a lot last year as a city bike and it
has drop bars, no dynohub, no full size rear rack (swap saddlebags with the
Nitto grip) and only one gear.   Great bike, but don't end up carrying as
much on it and usually avoid the steepest climbs in St. Paul.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN