My city bike, back when I lived in a city (chicago), was a Jamis Aurora
with mustache bars, downtube shifters that were basically frozen since I
never shifted, and a battery operated blinky light (planet bike
superflash) and a rechargeable headlight which I have since lost. I really
rarely used the headlight since my routes were always well lit by street
lights but the blinky light stayed on a lot. I had a blackburn rear rack
and a front rack with a basket attached. No kickstand but fenders were
needed. It served me well and never got stolen. I could have gotten away
with a singlespeed bike, easily.

If I was going to put together a good city bike now, I would pick a yves
gomez with albatross bars, one barend shifter to shift the rear and use a
single ring crank up front. Probaby a deore rear derailer shifting whatever
cassette I could find in my parts bin.  Platform pedals of course with
fenders (I honestly prefer aluminum). Dyno powered front wheel that runs a
decent light with the same superflash blinky rear light. Nitto mini or
mark's rack with a medium Wald basket attached and a sackville shopsack. I
would use a tubus or nitto rear rack and get a set of Wald 582 rear folding
baskets for the rear. Just throw in a backpack or whatever grocery bag I
need to haul.