On Mon, 2013-03-25 at 09:44 -0700, jpp wrote:
> I feel too each their own. I have been doing the one bike idea (RIVed
> out Surly LHT) for 3 + years.  But I totally understand having more.
> In fact if money was no option for me I would probably have a few
> more.  On the flip side there is nothing wrong with having a favorite
> bike, but does not have to be only bike.

Absolutely.  If you ride a lot, there's a lot wrong with just one bike.
What do you do if something breaks and gets tied up for a while waiting
parts?

Last year on Aug 13 I discovered a cracked MA3 rim on the back wheel of
my George Longstaff.  I had the LBS build me a replacement with a new
Open Pro rim.  That wheel was delivered on Sept. 13.  A week prior, Aug
5, I discovered a cracked rear rim on the back wheel of my MAP.  I sent
that wheel off to Velocity for rebuild; it came back on Aug. 24.

So for most of August last year, I had two bikes deadlined. Fortunately,
I had several other bikes I could ride.

And it's more than just having a spare in case a bike is deadlined.  My
bikes are all different from one another.  I like to pick the bike most
appropriate to the ride I'm going to do.  Of six, only one of my bikes
is really suitable for touring with panniers, for example.