I always ride (or run) so I can have an easy conversation. No doubt I look
like I am, a bit over the edge, talking to myself. Grin. If you want to
know more about this general approach and geek out on heart rate a formula,
check out Phil Maffetone's Big Book of Endurance. The idea is to build up
your aerobic fitness, so you go faster with the same effort after a while.
Works really well. Have fun!

With abandon,
Patrick