>Just to clarify my earlier comment:  There's "wiggle" which is pretty
minor, and most moving parts have some.<

Okay, that must be what I'm detecting.

Thanks for all the suggested solutions, and thanks to the op for asking the
question in the first place.  I'm going to work my way through the
suggestions offered in this thread to see if I can make my Riv enjoyable to
ride again.

I replaced the cassette and chain at the end of last season, but that
didn't stop the ghost shifting. So I'll try replacing all the chain rings
and see if that solves the problem.  Then I'll have to see about
overhauling my XT rear hub.  I've never done any hub work, and similar to
the op hubs seem scary to me, but I guess I need to get over it and get
some tools and get to work.

Another data point for the op: I tried the Silver shifters, but I couldn't
get them to work.  Although the shifters felt silky smooth, they slipped
like crazy.  I even got some of the recommended beeswax, but that didn't
help at all, so I put some indexed Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters back
on.