I've rarely/never experienced a definite shimmy, but the closest I've come
to it seems to have been on a Pugsley with 26x3.8 Black Floyd tires (think
fatter Fat Franks). The huge contact patch of this tire serves as a large
lever against the road surface. The effect is that when turning, the
leverage against the road makes tire want to turn even more, and it take
some effort to pull out of a turn. At speed, especially no-handed, the
minor steering corrections got amplified, while the steering geometry wants
to keep the bike stable and moving in a straight line. It's not terribly
scary, but it's easy to reproduce and observe. I think, but can't prove,
that this interplay between contact patch leverage and steering geometry is
one potential reason why fatter tires tend to shimmy more. On the other
hand, I've come to be acquainted with a lot of 1980s Treks with skinny
tires that seem to have a shimmy (according to their owners).