I don't think it's contentious at all. What a boring world where everybody
had the same opinion about everything. Let differences flourish! (In both
senses.) I am puzzled and somewhat amused by some people's thin
skinned-ness.

Obviously this is a case where we each have our own preference, but there's
nothing at all wrong with that.

FWIW, I personally prefer saddlebags for all but quite heavy or bulky
loads, simply because they don't require a rack (at least those I use on my
bikes) but I prefer panniers for the shopping ease. I wheel my bikes
through the stores as my shopping cart and find the grocery-specific Banjos
the best I've used -- wish I could afford the upscale Ortliebs, but for the
money the BBs are excellent. And of course they are so easy to put on and
take off. The hook on top/bungee on the bottom is not the most secure
system but for short grocery rides (I usually extend them to 11 miles rt or
more) they are fine.

And a plug for the Medium Saddlesack. I've carried up to 30 lb and, more to
the point, it will carry as much as a single Ortlieb Packer, ie about one
paper grocery sack's worth with flap closed, though I -- and I emphasize
that I am speaking for myself -- find it considerably less easy to load
than an open-style pannier.

I am debating whether to continue the conversion of a larger-sized Timbuktu
bag into a pannier by bolting on an Ortlieb mount. Right now it's got the
simple dowel + toe straps system that works very well, but it takes a
tedious 10 seconds to release it. OTOH, the dowel/strap system does allow
me to use it also as a messenger bag while the Ortleib clamps would stick
out on the back ...

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Christopher Chen <cc...@nougat.org> wrote:

> Can we please drop this thread and talk about something less contentious,
> like carbs or carbon forks?
>
> cc
>
> --
> "I want the kind of six pack you can't drink." -- Micah

http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com

Albuquerque, NM