I did a couple of tours on this restored long chain stay Trek 728:
http://cyclofiend.com/cc/2008/cc484-joelmatthews0508.html before donating
to a local bike co-op.  The ride with the 35 Schwalbes was very
comfortable.  Never tried it with narrower tires.

The 728 had a mid to high trail fork.  The only issue I had with the bike
is steering was somewhat lazy in the tight corners.  Perhaps a builder
would have some ideas how this could have been corrected.  As it is, Trek
dropped the 728 the next year without tweaking the design.