Grant writes: "I think by virtue of sheer number inferiority, that riding
"unracerly" whether or not you like the label, needs a label to be a thing,
and without the label or being a thing, it will get etch-a-sketch out of
sight and mind continually by the dominance of the other stuff."

I agree about the label. Do we have also have a label that defines as what
we are, rather than what we are not?

>From time to time when I am riding, someone asks me if I'm training for
something. No, I say, this is the thing. I just ride because I like to ride
my bike.

A friend of mine is a new-ish rider. He has some sort of superlight bike,
like almost all the riders around here, and then he was also riding some
other bike to work, and it was stolen. So he emailed me and another friend
about what he should get for a new commute bike. I suggested a few things,
something with lights, fenders and a basket, for example. He ended up
buying a used Seven ID8, which, he proudly said in his email, weighs 17
pounds. Nice bike, I emailed back.

But I privately wondered, how does that 17-pound bike work for commuting?
If you feel like buying a gallon of milk and some potatoes on the way home,
do you have somewhere to put them? If it is pouring on your way home, did
you have somewhere to stash your rain jacket and do you have fenders so you
don't get a stripe up your back and a bike covered with grit? If you feel
like taking the long way home along the dirt trail on the levee, will your
tires stand up to it?

I needed some term to use with my friend, to say, you have your light racey
bike, but this one should be-- unracery. Or whatever. But he, like most of
the riders I know, thinks that lightness is the most important factor in
choosing any bike.  If someone buys a new bike, the first question is
ALWAYS "How much does it weigh?"

--
-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels