Agree, wide range and sufficiently small gaps with 10 cogs; 2X10 should
give you almost as much range with as comfortable a progression as a 3X8.

I bumped up to 9 from 7 on the Fargo when I went from 46/36/24 to 38/24 and
the range is almost as big and the gaps almost as small and -- here is the
clincher, for me -- I can do 95% instead of 70% (the numbers are metaphors,
of course) of my riding on the big ring, ie avoid the annoying
big-to-middle shifts in mid range on rolling dirt.

For the Ram, the 44/30 X 14-15-16-17-18-20-23 seven is really more than I
need, but that's my kind of riding. Still, one niche the Ram is meant to
fill is longer (~50) mile rides with extended hills; RS Watson, I'll take
you up on that ride to Santa Fe when the weather cools.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Mike Schiller <mikeybi...@rocketmail.com>wrote:

> It's the access to wide range cassettes that's made triples somewhat
> obsolete. Using a 44-28 or 46-30 crankset with a 11-30 up to a 12-34
> cassette gives one a pretty good range on a road or country bike.  Heavily
> loaded touring bikes being probably one of the only exceptions although it
> kinda depends on the terrain you ride ... or your physical condition.
>
> ~mike

http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/patrickmooreresumespec/