>Carbon fiber reinforced plastics are only the latest expression of
"innovation" that has caused much harm from injuries when steerer tubes,
fork blades and frames have >snapped under normal and/or readily
foreseeable less-than-normal situations.

I cannot see myself ever wanting anything other than an all steel bike, and
I have never once worn (and doubtful never will) form fitting cycle shorts
or cycle only shoes.

Must say though that I am actually intrigued with what Argonaut is doing
with CF sheet tubings.  For some reason I thought CF could only be made in
an injection molding  type process.  Argonaut's process video really opened
my eyes to the possibility of making micro adjustments to tube diameter
allowing a level of custom design impossible with steel.  May take a
generation before there is enough data to match the technology to users,
but it seems a worthwhile pursuit to me.

>CNC milled parts such as stems and cranks which had an unacceptably high
failure rate would be yet another; some of those are still with us today
because the people >manufacturing those products too often fail to
understand metallurgy and metal fabrication adequately.

You do not name brands, but my take away from the remark is based on my and
a lot of other people's experience, the folks at Paul and White must
understand metallurgy and metal fabrication as their cranks and now with
Paul seat posts are very durable with low fail rates.