It's fairly easy to mount a pump so that it doesn't conflict with picking
up the bike and shouldering it to carry the bike.  Here's a photo that
shows my Rivendell Road Standard with the pump (a Silca) mounted behind the
seat tube using a Campy "umbrella" style pump holder.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37964304@N05/10299444896/in/photostream/lightbox/

I live in an upstairs apartment and carry my bike down every time I ride.
I'm personally not a big fan of the double top tube frames, but I suppose
they may be needed for a frame as large as the H.H. listed on eBay (71
cm).  My frame is 65 cm, and I've never experienced any issues with frame
rigidity (I also have a 26" Schwinn Paramount).

To each his/her own...

Jim