You are right! The LHT does have LONG chainstays... Most touring bikes I
have measured were classic machines that had shorter chainstays than that.
My old Mercian tourer had a wheelbase of 1028 mm. Of course, the main
determinant of wheelbase is top tube length - a large frame will have a
longer wheelbase. I should have said that I was referring to bikes that fit
a 6' tall rider like me - otherwise, the wheelbase measurement becomes
meaningless.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly