It's interesting that you bring up tandems. Tandems do have their own
requirements – they should not react much to weight shifts, since the
captain cannot anticipate when the stoker reaches for a water bottle or
scratches their nose – but the best tandems are as nimble at speed as a
good single bike. (At very low speeds, you do notice the long wheel base,
because the turning radius is larger.) Here, too, front-end geometry is
more a determinant of handling than wheelbase. It would be interesting to
ride a René Herse Chanteloup tandem with a curved rear seat tube and
ultra-short wheelbase back to back with a standard tandem from the same
maker with the same front-end geometry, but significantly longer
wheelbase... I have ridden both, and both are excellent, but never
back-to-back to make direct comparisons.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
http://www.bikequarterly.com